Thursday, October 15, 2009

EXTRA, EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT! TOMORROWS RIVEREAST!

There is a twist to “Ask Sandy” this week.

The Portland Fair was a wonderful weekend. On behalf of the Portland Republicans, I extend a big thank you to all of the volunteers who have spent countless hours organizing this wonderful fall event. At the Fair I was asked a multitude of questions, had great conversations and learned what many of you are impassioned about. I would like to share with you a sampling of those conversations.

SANDY, YOU ARE NEW TO TOWN!

Yes I am! I learned this past weekend that many people perceive this as a positive and they embrace that I am not a longtime politician with promises to fulfill. On the other hand I was quite surprised that a few concluded that my three years in Portland equates to a lack of experience or a lack of passion for the town. I chose to move to Portland because of the small town charm and the strong sense of community. My 25+ years of business experience have provided me with so many ideas for how the town leadership can enable our town to be well run and better positioned for the future. Seeing what Portland IS, is what made me want to live here and seeing what Portland COULD BE, is exactly what motivated me to run for the position of 1st Selectman. The Portland Republicans have a slate of candidates that includes many “newcomers” along with life-long residents all, who have joined together because of our love of Portland and the desire to bring leadership and a sustainable vision for our town’s future.

SANDY, HOW ABOUT THE WATER SITUATION?

This is clearly a situation on everyone’s mind, especially for those that receive their water from the water mains from High Street. The survey that was conducted in May and June by the Portland Republicans revealed that 62% of the respondents believe that our public water system lacks long term solutions. We agree! I am a proven business leader as well as an attorney with a record of building consensus, planning for the future, and executing a sustainable vision. I will work with our water provider to seek out solutions improve our system with the ultimate goal of a minimal
cost impact to our citizens and a long term solution.


SANDY, WHERE DO YOU STAND ON THE RIVERFRONT
AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT?

Portland has the largest amount of Connecticut riverfront, yet no public access to the water. The Portland Republicans have proposed utilizing the Reservoir for family-oriented swimming, picnicking, and other recreational activities. This is just one area of opportunity for our citizens for recreation. There is a core of volunteers that have worked diligently giving countless hours to bring community awareness to the jewel of property along the riverfront. There have been many studies completed about the economic vitality of the town that corresponds to our riverfront.

I pledge to work with our citizen volunteers to move forward to implement a viable and affordable plan for our community along the riverfront. I am honored to be running for 1st Selectman of
Portland. I do not take lightly the work to be done. There are many challenges before us and I, along with my fellow Republican candidates, am ready to get the job done!


On November 3rd, please cast your vote for the team who listens, who has a vision for our future, who has reached out to hear your concerns, to listen to your ideas and is ready to move Portland into the future.

Sandy Downes

BOARD OF SELECTMEN
John Anderson
Carl Chudzik
Tom Nash
Matt Rice

BOARD OF EDUCATION
Joe Dinegar
Jenny Godwin
Brenna Kosicki
Chris Orcutt

BOARD OF ASSESSMENT APPEALS
Peter Castelli
Marabeth Gildersleeve

ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS
Jack Sterry
Dan Varricchio

No comments:

Post a Comment