Sunday, October 4, 2009

ASK SANDY.....


Are you brave enough to address the blight ordinance issue?


I think that if I am asking for your support in electing me your First Selectman you have every right to know where I stand on this issue.


Portland epitomizes a charming New England town to me and, I would venture, to most people. It has a beautiful Main Street with wonderful, historic homes. Similar to other communities, however, we do have properties in town that need cleaning up.


The purpose of a blight ordinance is to promote the public health, safety and welfare of the town's residents and it can also work to preserve and protect property values. These are laudable goals with which most of us would not have a problem. It's the implementation and enforcement of these goals that can cause friction among the residents of a town and its elected officials.


Therefore, I would be in favor of a properly crafted, comprehensive blight ordinance that includes and clearly articulates (1) a definition of "blight", "nuisances", etc., (2) prescribed fines for violations, (3) enforcement procedures, (4) notice, hearing and appeal processes and (5) special considerations for individuals who are elderly or disabled. Several towns in the area have been able to enact such ordinances for their residents.


In May of this year a "Blight Sub-Committee" of the Board of Selectmen recommended that an ordinance not be developed at this time and that the Committee be disbanded. The reason was that "...in absence of a zoning enforcement officer that it did not make sense to adopt an ordinance that could not be enforced." This reasoning begs to be challenged. If something is right and good for a town then it is up to the First Selectman and the Board of Selectmen to find a way to get it done and not rely on lame excuses, especially one that was a direct result of their decisions in the budget process.


I know that working hand in hand with our Planning and Zoning Commission and the newly elected Board of Selectmen I can get the job done and done right.


Again, please feel free to send me your questions. You will always get my honest answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment